Innovation is at the heart of human progress. The printing press, the steam engine, the automobile, and now AI have led to industrial and social revolutions. In modern history, Europe has been the cradle of countless technological innovations, but more recently, it seems to be playing catch-up with other regions. The EU is aware of this, and it has ambitious plans in store to ramp up innovation in the digital age. The million-dollar question is: can the EU succeed?
In today’s episode, we discuss what innovation is, why it matters, and what the EU is doing to earn itself a place among innovation champions.
About our guest
Paul Hünermund is an Assistant Professor of Strategy and Innovation at Copenhagen Business School. He is also the co-founder of causalscience.org, a platform for fostering knowledge exchange between industry and academia on causal data science.
Liene Briede is the Vice-Rector for Innovation at Riga Technical University and a European Innovation Council Board Member. Over the past ten years, she has worked tirelessly to improve the Latvian and Baltic innovation ecosystem.
Hosted & produced by
- Horizon Europe (European Commission)
- New European Innovation Agenda (European Commission)
- European Innovation Council (European Commission)
- European Innovation Scoreboard 2023 (European Commission)
- EU Industrial R&D Investment Scoreboard 2022 (European Commission)
- Securing Europe’s competitiveness: Addressing its technology gap (McKinsey Global Institute)
- EIB Investment Report 2022/2023 (European Investment Bank)
- Startup Heatmap Europe (DEEP Ecosystems)
- Opening speech by President von der Leyen at the European Innovation Council Launch Ceremony (European Commission)
- Speech by President von der Leyen at the EU Industry Days 2022 (European Commission)
- From Spotify to Minecraft, Sweden Proves Fertile Ground for Unicorns (Bloomberg)
- Artificial intelligence, blockchain and the future of Europe: How disruptive technologies create opportunities for a green and digital economy (European Commission & European Investment Bank)
- Privacy Regulation and Firm Performance: Estimating the GDPR Effect Globally (Oxford Martin School)
- How GDPR Changed European Companies’ Tech Stacks (Harvard Business Review)
… to a few of our previous episodes
- “Tracking the ups and downs of cross-border train travel in the EU”
- “How to land a job in the EU?”
- “Let’s get digital” (the EU’s digital strategy)